Basic Senior Home Care Options For You, Or Someone You Love
Written by Joy de Guzman
If you are interested in senior home care for yourself or someone you love, you have numerous options to select from, based on the standard of support required, the environment, and your finances. The primary concern, nevertheless, is what can make your beloved a lot more comfortable and offer them the assistance they require. Here are some of the standard arrangements you might like to take into account:
Free Bonus: Click here to get access to a free EBOOK that shows you how to recognize the warning signs that your aging parent may not be safe at home.
In-Home Support Services / Providers
Most seniors feel most comfortable staying in their own home. If situations permit, one can choose from various sorts of in-home senior support services including, but not limited to:
- Assistance with Daily Needs: Personal support workers may offer services to aid in running errands, escorting to doctor visits, social events, and visits to the grocery store. They can provide support with in home activities including laundry, simple house cleaning, meal planning, and preparation. It is important that if you retain the assistance of an in-home senior care agency, you inquire about the experience of their employees. Matching the needs of you or your loved one with the skills and personality of your personal support worker is crucial for a comfortable and satisfying experience.
- Healthcare Needs: Senior home care companies can often provide services to assist clients with managing various medical conditions. For instance, personal support workers can offer medication reminders to encourage seniors to take their prescribed medications on time. In-home care support also provides for client observations, ensuring that any changes in behavior or well-being are reported to family members or, to a doctor immediately. Personal support workers can assist with simple exercises recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- 24-Hour Services: Senior home care agencies can offer friendly staff to visits your loved one at different intervals to ensure they get periodic attention. In other instances, your loved one may need around the clock 24-hour support at home. It is also common for families to hire a senior care agency to provide respite care, allowing family caregivers to enjoy a much-needed break for the day-to day tasks associated with caregiving. Individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias can benefit from longer hours of support in order to be monitor constantly for safety concerns such as wandering, and be assisted with maintaining their personal hygiene.
- Hospice and Palliative Care: When a loved one is approaching the end of life, it is possible for quality end of life care to be provided in the comfort of home, where they can be surrounded by loved ones. Senior home care companies can supplement the care provided by a palliative or hospice health care team by providing compassionate personal support workers to help address spiritual, psychological, and physical symptoms of dying, in a culturally sensitive manner. Caregivers will focus on comfort and quality of life for those affected by life-threatening illness.
- Employing an in-home care provider is not a choice individuals make often in life, but it is not too early to start considering senior care alternatives for those you love. Ideally, include them in your searches and talk about their preference with their healthcare practitioner.
It’s always a good idea to research the various kinds of services and facilities that are close by to you. You can learn more about your options by giving us a call. We’re happy to help!